Friday, March 18, 2016

The Story Behind The Hymn: Be Thou My Vision

I'm sorry that this message is one day late, but I hope that you'll consider reading the lovely history of this hymn. It is one of my personal favorites. The link to this hymn can be found by this link, http://www.celebratingholidays.com/?page_id=11487.

 

History of “Be Thou My Vision”

Words Attributed to Saint Dallan (c. 530-598)


Saint Dallan Forgaill
Saint Dallan (c. 530 – 598)
Saint Dallan’s original name was Eochaid Mac Colla. The word “dallan” means “little blind one,” and Dallan earned this nickname after supposedly losing his sight from intense study. Dallan, who was a descendant of the legendary High King Colla Uais, was a famous Irish Christian monk, poet, and scholar who is believed to have penned “Rop tĂș mo Baile” (Be Thou My Vision). Though Dallan was killed by pirates who broke into his island monastery, his poetry lived on for centuries in the Irish monastic tradition.
In 1905, Mary Elizabeth Byrne translated the poem into English, and in 1912, Eleanor Hull versified the text of “Be Though My Vision.” In 1927, David Evans set the hymn to the tune “Slane” (an old Irish folk tune) and published it in the Church Hymnary. “Slane” is named for a hill in County Meath, Ireland, where St. Patrick is said to have lit his famous Easter fire in 433 AD.
Legend holds that High King Logaire of Tara had decreed that no one in his kingdom could light a fire until he kicked off the pagan spring festival with a ritual fire on Tara Hill. Supposedly, Patrick defied this decree and Logaire was so fascinated by Patrick’s faith in God (as well as his willingness to risk his life in defying a powerful king) that Logaire allowed Patrick to continue his missionary work in Ireland.

 

Lyrics for “Be Thou My Vision”:


Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my wisdom, and Thou my true word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle shield, sword for the fight;
Be Thou my dignity, Thou my delight;
Thou my soul’s shelter, Thou my high tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O power of my power.

Riches I need not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my vision, O ruler of all.

No comments :

Post a Comment